The goal of these few paragraphs is to investigate two arguments relating to the meat that is produced in the United States; I will try to gather evidence to support those arguments.
The two arguments argued are:
- The meat (categorically lawful to Muslims) in the US is slaughtered by cutting the artery.
- The US is a Christian nation (from a population standpoint not a constitutional standpoint).
1. The meat in the US is indeed slaughtered by cutting the artery.
This is probably a difficult point to argue as there are clear violations to any rule and violation incidents tend to spread faster than the rule. However, this is the law as it stands. According to the US HSA (Humane Slaughter Act which is somewhat vaguely defined in this link but is clarified through the entry on Slaughterhouses), all animals must be slaughtered humanely which basically includes the following steps:
- Cattle are rendered unconscious by applying an electric shock of 300 volts and 2 amps to the back of the head, effectively stunning the animal,or by use of a captive bolt pistol to the front of the cow’s head (a pneumatic or cartridge-fired captive bolt). Swine can be rendered unconscious by CO2/inert gas stunning. (This step is prohibited under strict application of Halal and Kashrut codes.)
- Animals are hung upside down by both of their hind legs on the processing line.
- The carotid artery and jugular vein are severed with a knife, blood drains, causing death through exsanguination.
- The head is removed, as well as front and rear feet. Prior to hide removal, care is taken to cut around the digestive tract to prevent fecal contamination later in the process.
End reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse#Process
The first step mentioned above is called stunning which aims to leave the animal unconscious but not dead which is defined in the FAO slaughter house process This process is supported by different journalists reporting on this act .
All approved method of slaughter aim to induce surgical anesthesia on the animals before being slaughtered (if you are still reading, you might have some questions about this link) There probably are and will be exceptions to the law but they would still be exceptions.
2. The US is a Christian nation (from a population standpoint not a constitutional standpoint).
According to the 2008 census, 76 % of American’s self identified themselves as Christians which would lead that the majority of the American population is in fact christian.
Allah (s.w.t) says in the Quran that: (Surat Ma2eda): “Made lawful to you this day are At-Tayyibât [all kinds of Halâl (lawful) foods, which Allâh has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girl-friends. And whosoever disbelieves in Faith [i.e. in the Oneness of Allâh and in all the other Articles of Faith i.e. His (Allâh’s) Angels, His Holy Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection and Al-Qadar (Divine Preordainments)], then fruitless is his work; and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers.”
Some related Fatwas: