This is part of the Sunday School Teaching and Learning series
Date: 11/02/2008, 05/Dho Al Qe’dah/1429
Class Topic/Title: Who is Allah?
– To gain better understanding of some of Allah’s names
– Allah is the all hearing
– Allah is the all knowing
– Allah is the all seeing
– Allah is the all ever living, the first and the last
– Memorize Surat Al Ikhlas (and explain meaning)
– review last week’s lesson (10 minutes)
– Who is Allah?
– Group activity (discuss names of Allah and solve worksheet)
PART 1: Soorat Al Ikhlaas (10 minutes)
– Fadl: equal to one thrid of the Quran:
Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) And there is none comparable unto Him. (4)
– recite and explain meaning
– understand this chapter: why all this reward?
– every two people recite it to each other (with meaning)
PART 2: Other names of Allah
Names of Allah:
– All hearing: knows the secret and beyond
– Allah is the all knowing: knows every leaf that falls, what ever happened in the past and what will happen in the future
– He is the first
– He is the last
– He is the ever living
Activity: 20 minutes
– Get them more familiar with the Quran
– Connect what they learn with the Quran (get them thinking about such attributes rather than saying them blindly)
– Ask each group to present what they found to the class
Allah-is-the-all-hearing-all-seeing Focus that Allah sees everything in the past, present and future (give examples: does Allah know see a small ant walking underneath a rock at night?)
Allah-is-the-all-knowing Focus that Allah known the past, present and future (give examples: does Allah know about a leaf which fell 3000 years ago in China? Does Allah know about a small rock floating in the universe?)
The group activity was a sucess alhamdolellah. I tried to encourage students to find the appropriate verses from the Quran to attach their hearts to the Quran.